Saturday, June 27, 2009

Do the Math

Once you have your recipe book it's time to do the math!

The basic process is to multiple each recipe's ingredients by how many times you will eat it in a year.
For instance, say I have 7 items for breakfast I would multiple each recipe's ingredients by 52 to cover a full year's food supply.
I would repeat this for each of the other recipes.

When I did this I put it all in a spreadsheet to make sure the math was correct and to keep up with duplicate ingredients.
Some useful equivalencies to know are:

3 Teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon
16 Tablespoons = 1 Cup
2 Cups = 1 Pint
2 Pints = 1 Quart
4 Quarts = 1 Gallon

Doing the math takes a while, but it helps keep things accurate so that you don't end up with twice the amount of flour and not enough yeast for your year supply of food.

This is a great FHE activity (hint hint to get the men involved)!

1 comment:

  1. Its been over a year since I did the math the first time and I noticed that I eat certain meals more often and needed to adjust. Try to keep in mind what you will eat more often. I am adding everything up all over again!

    ReplyDelete